(inspired by Anthony Williams)
6 red apples, preferably organic, cut into medium chunks
2 ribs celery, preferably organic, cut into 1 inch pieces (optional)
2-4 Medjool dates, or another variety
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 ½- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
raw walnuts, raisins or chopped dates, dried cranberries or cherries for garnish, optional
Make the Applesauce:
Add all of the ingredients into a high-speed blender. Alternatively, in a regular blender, work with smaller amounts and combine. Blend until smooth. In my Vitamix, I definitely need the plunger to get it going.
Serve with optional garnishes. Will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Makes 4 cups, or 4-6 servings. YUM!
1. Get organic, if at all possible. If the apples are not organic, I would peel them first.
2. You can leave out the celery and the dates, but why?
3. A high speed blender is going to work best, but a regular one will work too, just do it in smaller batches.
4. Since it’s so easy to make, you can halve or quarter the recipe, and make a fresh batch whenever you want it.
5. If you like, experiment with other flavorings—a pinch of cloves or nutmeg, orange juice, ginger-fresh or powdered and on and on.